[RC5] Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Jeffrey Short jshort at mindspring.com
Fri Dec 31 08:19:56 EST 1999

Jeff (and anyone else),

	A question about CSC...

		Up until a couple of weeks ago, I was running the D.N
client for Win98 as the "standard config" out of the box -- i.e., no
changes to the settings.  The keys that I was running were small in
nature (no bigger than 8*2^ )... so I was refreshing the keyspace
rather quickly.

		Just for kicks, I reviewed my settings and decided to
increase the preferred packet size from the default of 30 (at least, I
thought it was 30) to the max at 33.  This has caused one major
change to the client.   I am now processing keys that are 32*2^ in
size...  With running 10 packets before I fetch/flush....and each key
taking 3 1/2 hours (just upgraded the latest client this morning)....
it takes me a day and a half before I deliver my results.

	Is that necessary bad?  Am I hurting the overall performance by
having the fletch/flush take so long?

Thanks,

Jeff Short

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net