[RC5] Y2K an interesting statistic

Scott Mohnkern mohnkern at millkern.com
Thu Dec 30 16:29:59 EST 1999

Ok, I'm as sick and tired as everyone else hearing about Y2K, but I was
thinking about the recent statement by MIT that they are shutting down their
computers for the Year 2000 (no, it's not the new millenium, but that
doesn't lower the impact of the Y2K issue), and thought that the completion
statistics for CSC might be an interesting way to demonstrate how many
people either:

a) Shut off their computers because of Y2K, and/or

b) Had their computers crash (or something similar) because of Y2K.

Given that we've got last weeks CSC statistics, which included Christmas Eve
and New Year's eve, it seems reasonable to compare completion rates for
those two days with those of New Year's Eve and New Year's day, and see how
they compare.  While we here at our office are as Y2K compliant as we can
reasonably expect, all machines except mission critical ones are being shut
down, just in case we missed something really crucial.  Our offices are
closed anyway, so it doesn't make a big difference.

Just $.02 on the eve of something I hope promises to be a big non-event,

Scott Mohnkern

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net