[RC5] error in MacOS-client v2.7103.425 (easy work around)

Jo Hermans Jo.Hermans at vub.ac.be
Wed Jan 6 12:34:29 EST 1999

Hello,

I noticed that none of my Macs had checked in DES-blocks. The new
425-client had switched automatically to DES, but then it hung. The
interface still worked, but nothing happened anymore. When I tried to quit
the application, I noticed that it had some trouble stopping its threads.
After a bit of experimentation, I found the solution : make sure that you
disable the MP-support when running DES (no problems with RC5, only DES).
This option was enabled by default.

Tested on MacOS 8.5 and 8.5.1, on an iMac, Performa 5200 and Performa 5300
(all of which have only 1 cpu)

(btw : that gorgeous iMac that is sitting next to me on my desk is doing
1.8Mkeys/sec. Not bad for a white/blue egg :-)

Actually, sampo at distributed.net, mentioned in his .plan of Jan 3th
something about MP support. Was this actually tested or not ? I remember
that a previous version of the Win32 client didn't do DES on more than 1
cpu. Maybe the current Mac-version has the same limitation.

Quote of http://distributed.net/cgi/dnet-finger.cgi?user=sampo :
>           Turning off MP Support if you have only one processor may or
may not affect your key rate,
>           so try it out.

---
Jo Hermans, System Administrator DINF, VUB University, Brussels
Jo.Hermans at vub.ac.be                http://dinf.vub.ac.be/~jo/
Tel : +32-2-629.38.19               Fax : +32-2-629.35.25

Listmom (sic) of Blues-L  blues-l at brownvm.brown.edu or bit.listserv.blues-l
Maintains the Benelux Blues Scene   http://blues.vub.ac.be/

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net