[RC5] Scheduling in the client

jmv16 at cornell.edu jmv16 at cornell.edu
Wed Jan 6 15:46:02 EST 1999

On Wed, 6 Jan 1999, Mo wrote:

>     I was just wondering if anyone has considerred putting schedling on the
> client, so you can change the amount of CPU time it uses for different times
> of day/night.

There's a relatively easy (needs a little bit of time to set up, but
nothing too complicated) way to do this.  The client already has the
ability to run for a given length of time and exit automatically.  There
are also command line options to set the priorities ("niceness", I think
they call it).  Finally, most systems have a builtin scheduler of some
sort (Windows 95 comes with one, and all unix-type systems have cron
capabilities).

So if you read the documentation for the different features listed above,
you should be able to achieve the desired result without too much trouble.

(If you're running windows 95, I recommend making multiple shortcuts to
the client, right-clicking and choosing properties to modify the command
line, and naming them things like "Install as Service" or "Full-force
cracking".  That's what I did, anyway.)

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net