[RC5] Wheres the blocks?

Jason C. Leach leachjc at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 7 15:00:55 EST 1999

hello,

So I'm looking at the stats and I see 102% send, 16% checked.  With only
16% turned in it is a bit early to start recycling; assuming that the
other 84% has not been lost, but is out being processed.

I am sure the actual number for the contest will be allot different,
with less people loosing interest, and more people joining. But if those
numbers are an indication of what is to come it looks a little
hopeless.  We could end up w/ several clients doing the same blocks.

I appreciate the open approach of d.net not to stop RC5 while DES is on,
and obviously not for the test.  But a solution may be needed to see
that recycling is not started so early.

An easy way to do this I am not sure.  But perhaps n blocks could be
sent to everyone, and then when you turn one in, you get one more? Or no
more until the buffer is processed.

Does anyone know where the hell those blocks are? Do some people have
buffers set to 10 000 blocks on there home P166?  I would even expect
people who went back to RC5 to have the courtesy to complete what
remains in there buffer before switching back.

And I guess we get to see what happens when the key space is exhausted
after all :)

--

....Jason C. Leach

-- PGP key on server: pgpkeys.mit.edu