[RC5] DES-Test, Day 2

John Campbell jcampbel at lynn.ci-n.com
Fri Jan 8 14:35:20 EST 1999

On Thu, 7 Jan 1999, Jim C. Nasby wrote:

> time. We've completed 19.32% of t he keyspace, sent 131.03% (we've begun

	We've recycled more of the keyspace than we've actually cracked!?
There's going to be some *serious* duplication of work going on here,
because I suspect that the vast majority of those recycled keys are just
waiting in buffers to be cracked or flushed, and not actually lost blocks.

	It seems to me that this means that we need smaller blocks and
smaller buffers to ensure that the block with the key in it gets sent back
ASAP. These contests are getting short enough that the total duration of the
contest is approaching the time it takes for a slow machine to crack a
single block. So... if we want those slow machines to continue to be useful,
we need finer granularity, with smaller blocks available, and practically no
buffering on the slower machines.

	As things are, I'm going to be running most of my machines with a
buffer size of 1, because that'll give them at least a chance of getting a
block or two in before the end of the contest, and maybe even before the
block they're working on gets sent to someone else.

---
John Campbell
jcampbel at lynn.ci-n.com

QotD:  In the fight between you and the world, back the world.

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net