[RC5] Wheres the blocks?

nfo at deskmail.com nfo at deskmail.com
Fri Jan 8 10:17:52 EST 1999

Jason,

Here's my $0.02:
This is al IMHO. Do not flame me if you don't agree.

The DES-test is just that, a test. It was a learning excercise to test
d.net readiness for DES-III.

Did we learn from it? Yes, I think we did. I know that I did.
I learned how to optimize my clients for about 20% better overall
performance.

I think the main reason for an early recycle was block hoarding due
to server reliability problems. I know the coders have been and are
working to get that solved. People tended to buffer up many more
blocks than they actually needed. I think maybe an "education"
page on the website concerning proper buffer and pproxy usage
could help. I see no reason to buffer up more blocks than you can
process in one day. You can bet that the servers won't be down for
a solid 24 hour time. Probably, for proper contest switching, you
should not buffer more than 1/2 days blocks. I use the 1/2 day
system myself.

Also, keep in mind, the actual DES contest is a timed event.
Anything processed after 56 hours nets us nothing but the
knowledge that we can crack the code. I think we already know
that. Many people, myself included, will switch back to rc5 at the
56 hour point. This will cause minor DES block losses when I
delete my DES buffers. I am sure others will delete buffers as well.
If proper buffer and pproxy usage were being taught, losses could
be minimized for those who choose to continue running DES.

As to client switching, the improper use of buffers and pproxies
probably caused the biggest problem in our "ramp up" time.
Also, the fact that some people choose not to participate in the test
Considering that d.net participation as well as DES contest
participation is voluntary, this will always occur. Some people's
competetive nature as well as their wanting to get something for
their efforts will not allow them to play around like this.

/ramble mode off

On a kinda unrelated note:

Is there any web page or document stating that "deep crack" is
gonna work with d.net on the upcoming DES contest?.Many
rumors are flying and I would like to see some fact.
Is it that "deep crack" will be running a d.net client and working
with us directly or will it be doing its own thing and just working on
the same contest? I have scoured both the EFF and  d.net sites
and can find nothing but descriptions/pictures of "deep crack" and
a few press releases relating to the last DES contest. I hope
someone can resolve my curiousity.

Scott/NFO