[RC5] Wheres the blocks?

Bryan Talbot btalbot at ucsd.edu
Fri Jan 8 11:56:15 EST 1999

At 10:09 AM 1/8/99 -0600, you wrote:
>On 07-Jan-1999, Jason C. Leach wrote:
> Almost everyone buffers excessively.  My clients only buffer 3 DES blocks
> and 20 RC5 blocks.  However, for some reason, a lot of people buffer 1000
> block per client and 10000 blocks per pproxy.   I suppose that these people
> need to realize that massive block hoarding only hurts the project and wastes
> their CPU power.
>
> Additionally, I just changed the default pproxy desii buffer size to 10
> blocks minimally, 20 blocks maximum.  While this option is user
> configurable, I suspect that a large percentage of pproxy users simply use
> the default configuration.

Those are very small DES buffers for a proxy.  For just a dozen machines I
have running behind a firewall and use pproxy to buffer for, those blocks
would only last about 5 minutes or less.  I'm buffering 2000 DES blocks and
still the pproxy connects several times a day to flush and refill its
buffers.  Having the pproxy connect to a full proxy every time a client
requests blocks seems to defeat the whole purpose of having the pproxy's
buffer blocks on their own.

Granted the buffer sizes can be configured, but if as you claim, most
people do just go with the default, they're going to be really hammering
the full proxys now.

I agree that 100 blocks per client would be excesive in most cases
especially if the clients have constant access to a pproxy or a full proxy.
 Our clients are set to buffer 10 blocks DES and 10 blocks RC5 and most of
them share buffer files too, so those get exhasted pretty quickly.

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net