[RC5] DES-Test, Day 2

Jim C. Nasby jim at nasby.net
Fri Jan 8 14:07:24 EST 1999

I disagree as to the need for smaller blocks. The 486/16 that I used to run RC5
on would do 1 31 bit RC5 block per day, which means it would do a 28 bit block
in 3 hours. Assuming that DES is 50% faster (I can't get to my 486/100 to check
right now), that means it would take only 2 hours on a 28bit DES block.

I will certainly agree that people need to use smaller buffers for DES though.
I have all my clients set for 1:1, and between my two pproxies, I only buffer
500 28bit blocks. Since my dual PII alone will do a 28 bit block every ~2
minutes, this should be about 1/2 a day's work.

Your suggestion for a web page is a good one... I'll see if we can get one put
up.

Moo!
dB!