[RC5] Dual Processor

Paul repton at repton.org
Fri Jan 8 22:18:48 EST 1999

On Fri, 8 Jan 1999 root at brain.acmelabs.com wrote:

> I dont get it, why would i get two threads on only the machine that has
> two processors? Im only running one client. In the client i go to view ->
> block progress and i get two graphs. CPU1: %45 complete, CPU2: 69%
> complete. If im confused its because the client is confusing me on
> purpose. :)

if you tell the client you have 2 processors, it will start two threads to
crack blocks. on a multiprocessor machine with an operating that
supports the extra processors the operating system would run one
thread on each cpu, but as windows95 only supports one cpu it runs
both threads on the one processor. what you are seeing is the
%complete for each thread. they are both, however, running on the one CPU.

maybe the client should be altered to say something like "thread1:"
instead of "CPU1:".

--
Paul Everett                                 Microsoft is not the answer.
repton at repton dot org                       Microsoft is the question.

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net