[RC5] new feature?

Eric Gindrup gindrup at okway.okstate.edu
Fri Jan 8 16:15:54 EST 1999

     There are a few options...

     Checkpoint files are (?, at least used to be) in the same format as
     buff-in files.  Set each client to use a checkpoint (on a
     non-networked, non-removable drive) and you can put several spare
     buff-in files in as checkpoints.  I'd suggest one per client since
     they can't share checkpoint files.

     Then there's...  Run a scheduled process that checks the size of the
     buff-in file.  If it gets too small (empty), move another "waiting"
     buff-in into the shared buff-in's place.  This is not easy on
     Windows boxes.  (It requires an additional program that can return
     file sizes or compare a command-line argument to the size of a
     specified file and return a boolean value.)  It is pretty easy on
     UNIX and UNIX-based OSs.

     Then there's...  Mail based fetching and flushing.  I don't find the
     information for doing this on the DCTI site any more, so this may
     have been discontinued...

     Then there's...  PProxy spoofing.  Set up a PProxy at home and one
     at work.  Set the buffers big.  Sneakernet between the two pproxies
     as you would sneakernet between two clients.  *Always make sure the
     two pproxies are the same version!*  Don't do this for DES-III; your
     latency is too large.

     Then there's...  Download the latest client version and see if the
     latest tinkering with UUE, Telnet, HTTP, SOCKS, et c. firewall
     piercing works for you.