[RC5] request

William E. Powers wepprop at orbitworld.net
Sat Jan 9 08:07:59 EST 1999

> Hello,
>
> I would like to request a new feature for the new clients. Would it be
> possible to check for the presence of a flush.now file ? Similar to the
> exitrc5.now file. We don't really have to check every few seconds for the
> presence of that file, only when we're writing a finished block to the buffer.
>
> This would make it a lot easier to force remote clients to flush their
> buffers (you can't always send a signal, or flush thru the commandline)
> Also useful when they share their input-files. And it would be easy to
> write a script which create that file at a certain time (to force a general
> flush for instance).

After weeks of trying to accomplish this very thing on the client
side, and after experiencing extreme frustration trying to get 'offline'
clients to switch to DES, I finally installed a personal proxy.

Initially, I was scared off of the proxy route by disclaimers in the
documentation:

"Running a personal proxy is definitely not needed by everyone, nor
is it recommended. You should only run a personal proxy if you are
very confident of your abilities, and you have a very weak,
unreliable, or intermittant connection to the Internet to directly
contact one of the servers."

However, it turns out, that the personal proxy was not difficult to
install, has all the features I need to control when fetch/flush
requests take place, and allows the clients to run in direct 'online'
mode, which is their best and most tested mode of operation.

Now, if only we could get a 300+ proxy for linux-libc5 prior to DES!

:-)

Bill Powers
wepprop at bigfoot.com

"I figure God put me here and He can take me back anytime He pleases."
- Danny Dutton, age 8.

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net