[RC5] DES-Test, Day 2

Jim C. Nasby jim at nasby.net
Sat Jan 9 15:20:25 EST 1999

The machine in question is a _dual_ PII333 running FreeBSD 3.0-RELEASE. Each CPU gets
936kk/s, or ~1.9Mk/s total. Doing the math, this means it takes 207 seconds for the
machine to complete 2 28 bit blocks, or 143 seconds per block. So, it takes on
average 2:23 to complete each 28 bit block.

Looking at it right now, it's taking each thread 38:15 to complete a 31 bit block.
Divide by eight, and you get 287 seconds to do a 28 bit block. Divide by 2 threads,
and you get 2:23/28 bit block/thread. FWIW, I have run the box with 28 bit blocks for
awhile... it's quite fun to watch the screen updates throw another '.' on the screen
every 2.8 seconds. :)

Hope this helps,
dB!