[RC5] Wheres the blocks?

Denie Andriessen D.Andriessen at pink.nl
Sat Jan 9 05:03:19 EST 1999

>hello,
Hi there,

>So I'm looking at the stats and I see 102% send, 16% checked.  With only
>16% turned in it is a bit early to start recycling; assuming that the
>other 84% has not been lost, but is out being processed.
Well, I might be already quite late to start recyling. As from previous
information that could be gathered by the proxys, information like
the number of blocks that get downloaded, that time it take for
a specifiec email to respond, how they react during a 'weekend'
(eg, machine of or on etc) a more efficient approach could be
taken. By excluding machines that end to take eg about a week
to reply their bloks to receive block for a short contest, it should
be able te reduce the amount of double work, by not sending
them any (for the sake of this argument) DES blocks.... To send
reclycle block to machines that have been known to reply quickly,
it could be able to keep keep up with the arguments previously
mentioned here about the starting point of the EFF boys..
Of course less worst strategic disadvantage would be gained
by choosing al blocks at random from the whole keyspace.

>I am sure the actual number for the contest will be allot different,
>with less people loosing interest, and more people joining. But if those
>numbers are an indication of what is to come it looks a little
>hopeless.  We could end up w/ several clients doing the same blocks.
Correct. I mentioned that before..... See
http://lists.distributed.net/hypermail/rc5.Dec1998/0104.html
for example.. Lots of more comments are made there.....

>I appreciate the open approach of d.net not to stop RC5 while DES is on,
>and obviously not for the test.  But a solution may be needed to see
>that recycling is not started so early.
With this type of aproach it is unavoidable that blocks get recycled.
Comparably to the whole RC5 keyspace it does not do any significant
dammage.....

>An easy way to do this I am not sure.  But perhaps n blocks could be
>sent to everyone, and then when you turn one in, you get one more? Or no
>more until the buffer is processed.
>From stats that could be figured out by the keysevers it is possible
for any IP/email to get a more appropriate setting: eg: fast replying
machines larger blocks, slow replying machines a different contest.. (?)

>Does anyone know where the hell those blocks are? Do some people have
>buffers set to 10 000 blocks on there home P166?  I would even expect
>people who went back to RC5 to have the courtesy to complete what
>remains in there buffer before switching back.
Also this could be controled from the information that could be gathered
by this test contest... I wonder if any is stored... It would make a nice
excersice to try and 'build' a formula that keeps the client into 'top'
condition for the current contest.. I don't think it's even very hard on
the maths part.. The machines would probably be the bottleneck....

>And I guess we get to see what happens when the key space is exhausted
>after all :)
Yeah, lets just see what happens....

Denie Andriessen

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net