[RC5] Dual Processor

Ed Wensell III aka THE StormRaiser EWENSELL at pstcc.cc.tn.us
Sat Jan 9 11:33:20 EST 1999

=> I dont get it, why would i get two threads on only the machine that has
=> two processors? Im only running one client. In the client i go to view ->
=> block progress and i get two graphs. CPU1: %45 complete, CPU2: 69%
=> complete. If im confused its because the client is confusing me on
=> purpose. :)

Without knowing the client internals, I would guess the client simply sees a
second instance of itself running and assumes it is running on a separate
processor... The d.net people can correct this statement as neccessary...

Now, if you want to check before an official answer, why not run a simple test?
Run a benchmark with one client running, and then another with the two clients
running. In theory, if the client is truly using both processors, then the
benchmark speed of each client should be the same or very close to the
one-client speed. If the sum of the two-client benchmarks ends up the same or
close to the one-client benchmark, then both clients are running on one CPU.

Be sure to set the client in "nasty" (high-priority) mode so one client dosen't
end up cancelling the other out (which should not happen regardless if it is
truly running on two processors).

Until soon...
Ed Wensell III
Systems and Operations Support, Pellissippi State
http://www.pstcc.cc.tn.us/departments/sos

         "f u cn rd ths, u cn gt a gd jb n cmptr prgrmmng." - fortune

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net