[RC5] Re: rc5-digest V1 #253

Brice D. Fleckenstein ciga at surf-ici.com
Sun Jan 10 11:08:54 EST 1999

> Why don't you make the Personal Proxy smarter and monitor how many
> blocks it allocates over a week and then automatically adjust itself
> to grab 1/2 a days worth of blocks.

 I'm OK with that idea for DES - or even for "grab one HOUR worth of
blocks" - but I've had phone outages longer than that, so I'm NOT OK
with that for RC5 or OGR.

 And actually, monitor "for a week" is totally impractical for a contest
that has a MAX timeframe of appx. 2 1/3 DAYS - which largely nixes the
idea in the first place for DES, which NEEDS the monitoring.

 Best bet is to MANUALLY set the thing for a reasonably SMALL number of
blocks - it's not hard to figure blocks per day from keyrate, divide by
6 (for DES, 3 for RC5) is a reasonably close approximation.

 For example, my PProxy is set to buffer 10 DES blocks at this point -
but I'm only likely to be running my Pentium-MMX machine in that
contest, so that works out to be about 30 minutes of blocks. Hmmm, I may
kick that up to 20 after all....

--

 Reply-to has been de-spammed. Real email address below.

 Brice D. Fleckenstein
 EMail: bricef at indy dot net

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net