[RC5] Suggestion for when we Recycle Keys

Robert A. Rosenberg Bob.Rosenberg at digitscorp.com
Mon Jan 11 00:47:23 EST 1999

I do not know the format of the list of Keys to Check but I think (if
this is possible) that when we start to reissue Key Ranges, that we
supply them in reverse order in the list - IOW if I am given 10
Blocks starting from X (ie: X to X+9) then LIST them as X+9 to X so
that I start at the end of the range and work my way forward.

ALSO, I think that when I turn in Checked Keys (or ask for more) that
my CURRENT set of assigned keys be sent to the Server for checking
against the list of already checked keys. If I have been assigned
keys that have been checked (due to recycling), then MY IN-Box copy
should be pruned of those and my IN-box optionally updated with
replacements for the deleted blocks. This prevents useless checking
and focuses on new keys (ie: Those that have not yet been turned in
as checked). Yes I will still be working on keys that others are
checking but I insure that when I select such a key AFTER having
checked in, that it will be one that has NOT YET been reported as
checked as of my check-in time.

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net