[RC5] Suggestion for when we Recycle Keys

Jim C. Nasby jim at nasby.net
Mon Jan 11 02:00:41 EST 1999

"Robert A. Rosenberg" wrote:

> I do not know the format of the list of Keys to Check but I think (if
> this is possible) that when we start to reissue Key Ranges, that we
> supply them in reverse order in the list - IOW if I am given 10
> Blocks starting from X (ie: X to X+9) then LIST them as X+9 to X so
> that I start at the end of the range and work my way forward.

I'm not sure what this would gain us...

> ALSO, I think that when I turn in Checked Keys (or ask for more) that
> my CURRENT set of assigned keys be sent to the Server for checking
> against the list of already checked keys. If I have been assigned
> keys that have been checked (due to recycling), then MY IN-Box copy
> should be pruned of those and my IN-box optionally updated with
> replacements for the deleted blocks. This prevents useless checking
> and focuses on new keys (ie: Those that have not yet been turned in
> as checked). Yes I will still be working on keys that others are
> checking but I insure that when I select such a key AFTER having
> checked in, that it will be one that has NOT YET been reported as
> checked as of my check-in time.

For RC5, this would serve no purpose. Since we have subspaces in RC5, we can
allow a subspace to lie dormant for a period of time before we recycle it, so
we loose very little processing power. For DES, we don't have that luxury, so
we loose work to duplication when we do a recycle. So, for DES, it is
desireable not to have to recycle.

Unfortunatly, it would take a large effort to enable our network to accept
blocks back. The master, proxies, personal proxies, and clients would all
require major changes.

The best solution is too minimize the amount of DES blocks that might be
lost... in other words, keep your buffers as small as possible.