[RC5] Win3.1 clients and scheduled fetches

Greg Wooledge wooledge at kellnet.com
Mon Jan 11 13:54:48 EST 1999

While looking at the output window of the Win3.1 client here at work,
something just dawned on me.  The scheduled fetches (the next one being
for Jan 12 17:15 UTC) are probably going to be all out of whack with
the DOS/Windows clients.

This PC doesn't have the TZ environment variable set, so the RC5DES
client has no idea which time zone I'm in.  It's reporting local times
as though they were UTC.  (I'm in the US/Eastern time zone, and it's
currently about 14:00, and the most recent lines of the RC5DES client
output say "[Jan 11 13:31:51 UTC] ...".)

It would probably be a good idea to add a time zone prompt to the
client configuration.  Thus, the client could save something like
"timezoneoffset=-5" or "timezone=US/Eastern" in the .ini file, which
would override timezone information (or the lack thereof) reported by
the operating system.  (Of course, this is not necessary on the
Linux/Unix clients -- but the Windows client base is huge.)  This would
be great for people who are either too lazy to set the TZ variable, or
who aren't technically competent enough to do so on their own.  (Also,
I'd much rather see the RC5DES client save the TZ into its private .ini
file than, say, writing commands to c:\autoexec.bat!)

Anyway, if you see a huge number of key fetches exactly 5, 6, 7 and 8
hours after the scheduled start of the DES-TEST-2 contest, I think I
can guess why....

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net