[RC5] Re: rc5-digest V1 #253

rc5 at xfiles.nildram.co.uk rc5 at xfiles.nildram.co.uk
Mon Jan 11 17:16:10 EST 1999

On Mon, 11 Jan 1999, Twilight wrote:

> What I was meant was that the personal proxy should track how many RC5
> blocks it's clients cracks a day and use that as a basis for how many blocks
> it needs to grab for the DES contest.

DES speed is not directly proportional to RC5 speed.

> If we got really tricky we could also grab information on how long the
> client has to process the blocks so when the client connects to the proxy it
> only grabs enough blocks which is can crack in a certain time. This would
> reduce the amount of redundant work being done and speed up the return of
> blocks meaning we are more powerful and quicker. (if that makes sense.)

Many people do not know in advance how long they will be off-line.

I think it is pointless attempting to limit the number of blocks clients
can store in their buffers - there are too many variables:

	1. Dial Up userss.
	2. Network Outage.
	3. Computer being turned off.

And I'm sure I could think of more.