[RC5] New stats

Darxus darxus at Op.Net
Mon Jan 11 18:44:17 EST 1999

On Tue, 8 Dec 1998, Scott Dodson wrote:

> I think an interesting stat graph would be how many new users, and teams
> there are.  Also, maybe if possible a color coded map of the world, kind
> of like those altitude maps but have it show the different ammount of
> people by color coding.

My first reaction to this was "yeah right, there's no way to know where,
geographically, blocks were submitted from."  Then I remembered a couple
neet programs I've come across that translated cities/zip codes into
latitude & longitude, and then other programs that would translate a
domain name into a city -- so you could actually, in real time, translate
a domain name into a rough latitude/longitude.

And then there's that graphical traceroute thing somebody pointed out to
me a few days ago that uses all this stuff in real time and draws it on a
globe in using OpenGL.
(http://www.dtek.chalmers.se/~d3august/xt/index.html)  (btw, I believe it
currently only runs on UNIX type OSes)

The web page for that program mentioned 2 RFCs that deal with converting
domains/IPs to latitude & longitude: 1712 & 1876.  (haven't looked at them
yet myself)

            darxus at op.net / http://www.op.net/~darxus
                        You do not exist.

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net