[RC5] Win3.1 clients and scheduled fetches

William E. Powers wepprop at orbitworld.net
Mon Jan 11 17:32:58 EST 1999

> This PC doesn't have the TZ environment variable set, so the RC5DES
> client has no idea which time zone I'm in.  It's reporting local times
> as though they were UTC.  (I'm in the US/Eastern time zone, and it's
> currently about 14:00, and the most recent lines of the RC5DES client
> output say "[Jan 11 13:31:51 UTC] ...".)
>
> It would probably be a good idea to add a time zone prompt to the
> client configuration.  Thus, the client could save something like
> "timezoneoffset=-5" or "timezone=US/Eastern" in the .ini file, which
> would override timezone information (or the lack thereof) reported by
> the operating system.  (Of course, this is not necessary on the
> Linux/Unix clients -- but the Windows client base is huge.)

Harumph!  All 3 of my Win95 boxes report UTC correctly, but 3 out
of 4 Linux boxes report Local time as UTC.  The Linux box that
reports correctly is RedHat 4.0 with a 2.0.34 kernel.  The boxes
that incorrectly report Local as UTC are all Linux Router Project
(LRP) 2.9.3 running 2.0.36pre something.  I haven't been able to
figure out how to get the LRP boxes/clients to tell time correctly.

The reason I'm running LRP is that those three boxes are pseudo-
PC's that are dedicated to running rc5des.  They're headless and
hard drive-less.  They just boot from a floppy, mount an nfs
partition, and then start cracking keys.

Bill Powers
wepprop at bigfoot.com

"I figure God put me here and He can take me back anytime He pleases."
- Danny Dutton, age 8.

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net