[RC5] Re: rc5-digest V1 #253

Twilight Twilight at clear.net.nz
Tue Jan 12 13:18:12 EST 1999

Ok, I'm going to explain my setup which I think is pretty common (correct me
if I'm wrong ;-) to explain why I suggest such things.

I have two personal proxy's (v280 hehe, no crashes here) setup on two
different LAN's supporting about 50 clients each on a full time connection
to the internet. I use Remote cows to install them, and when new clients
come out, copy the updates to the hard drive manually later on after
shutting down the service (which BTW is a gruelling process.)

I don't have spare time to analyse logs and do the math to work out how many
RC5 and more importantly DES blocks to cache on the proxy, so I guess ;-) I
certainly don't go around updating .ini files on all the PCs.

I though that the RC5 rate would give the proxy _enough_ of a _guess_ of the
computing power it's supporting to pull down  enough DES blocks to support
it's clients without overbuffering too much. (more chance than I would have
of guessing anyway.) We wouldn't get people buffering 10,000 des blocks then
anyway.

I would be all in favour of a "smarter" proxy, or even a setting for the
clients to let distributed automatically change setting on the clients for
things like blocks to buffer for certain competitions etc. The client
already knows if its online all the time, or lurking etc, so we could say
stick to what ya setting are UNLESS you are online all the time then buffer
x.

I saw from the DES-TEST that 1) We were recycling blocks at what appeared to
early a stage (to many clients buffering to many blocks?) 2) slower clients
didn't have the chance to get smaller blocks. 3)Clients were returning
completed blocks too slowly.

I think the above would help all these problems. I'm still new to
distributed net, so please excuse any dumb ideas, I just feel at the end of
the day, if you want people to play the game, don't make it harder than need
be. Set it and forget it.

Regards,
Tyler

On Mon, 11 Jan 1999, Twilight wrote:

> What I was meant was that the personal proxy should track how many RC5
> blocks it's clients cracks a day and use that as a basis for how many
blocks
> it needs to grab for the DES contest.

DES speed is not directly proportional to RC5 speed.

> If we got really tricky we could also grab information on how long the
> client has to process the blocks so when the client connects to the proxy
it
> only grabs enough blocks which is can crack in a certain time. This would
> reduce the amount of redundant work being done and speed up the return of
> blocks meaning we are more powerful and quicker. (if that makes sense.)

Many people do not know in advance how long they will be off-line.

I think it is pointless attempting to limit the number of blocks clients
can store in their buffers - there are too many variables:

	1. Dial Up userss.
	2. Network Outage.
	3. Computer being turned off.

And I'm sure I could think of more.