[RC5] Re: rc5-digest V1 #255

Kai Rode kai_rode at bigfoot.com
Tue Jan 12 10:16:11 EST 1999

On Mon, 11 Jan 1999 19:41:23 -0500, you wrote:

>My first reaction to this was "yeah right, there's no way to know where,
>geographically, blocks were submitted from."  Then I remembered a couple
>neet programs I've come across that translated cities/zip codes into
>latitude & longitude, and then other programs that would translate a
>domain name into a city -- so you could actually, in real time, translate
>a domain name into a rough latitude/longitude.

This works well with IP-addresses (assuming that huge organizations such
as AOL and Compuserve have put the correct location data into the DNS
record for each dial-in-port), but not with eMail addresses. Where can a
Bigfoot.com or Hotmail.com user be from? Almost anywhere.

	Kai
--
PGP public key available from servers. 0x71D4AD11/0x5CCA01F5
Join http://www.distributed.net/ or GIMPS at www.entropia.com

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net