[RC5] Suggestion for when we Recycle Keys

Ilmari Karonen iltzu at sci.fi
Tue Jan 12 23:39:04 EST 1999

On Mon, 11 Jan 1999, Herman Verkade wrote:
> easy to achieve with machines on permanent connections and more
> difficult on dial-up connections. I suppose dial-up users must remember
> to connect regularly during the DES contest, or configure the RC5DES
> client to trigger a dial-out every couple of hours.

For clients in lurk (or lurkonly) mode, what I'm planning to do is to
manually set the DES buffer size to 1:1 whenever I connect (block size
chosen to take about 10min/block) and back to a few hours worth of blocks
before disconnecting.

This is because the client will try to keep the buffer full whenever it
detects a dialup connection, so there's no point in letting extra blocks
wait in the buffer. The reason this has to be done manually is simple -
the client doesn't know in advance when I'm going to hang up. (Doesn't
mean it couldn't be made a lot easier..)

--
Ilmari Karonen (iltzu at sci.fi)
http://www.sci.fi/~iltzu/

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net