[RC5] blocksize suggestion

Steve Bird sbird at UATC.com
Wed Jan 13 09:39:28 EST 1999

Blocksize is irrelevant.  I'm leaving mine at 2^31.  I'll set my buffer to
handle as many blocks as I can compute in 1 hour and let it roll.  SO
technically, if I do  find the key,  I could cause d.net to waste its time
for an hour.  But, to be perfectly honest, I don't think they'll mind.

		-----Original Message-----
		From:	Scott Wasson [mailto:swasson at arrowpoint.com]
		Sent:	Tuesday, January 12, 1999 11:54 AM
		To:	rc5 at lists.distributed.net
		Subject:	[RC5] blocksize suggestion

		I think it might be a good idea to make the preferred
blocksizes for rc5
		and des individually configurable.  Before the des-test
contest started, I
		had my home pc set to 2^31 blocksize.  With a 33Kb dial-up
line, it simply
		takes less time to suck down enough blocks to keep the
system busy for the
		whole day until the next time I connect.  With a slow
internet connection,
		it takes significantly less time to retrieve fewer big
blocks than many
		small blocks.

		With DES, though, the mind-set is entirely different.
Because the contest
		duration is so short, 2^28 is preferable.  I think it would
be a Good
		Idea(tm) to make that a separate knob, whose default is 28.
Then any
		fine-tuning people may have done to improve (or hoard) rc5
blocks won't
		adversely affect des performance.

		Make sense?

		-Scott

		-Scott Wasson, ArrowPoint Communications
		-swasson at arrowpoint.com
		-(978) 692-5875 x530