[RC5] Win3.1 clients and scheduled fetches

John Campbell jcampbel at lynn.ci-n.com
Mon Jan 11 20:16:41 EST 1999

On Mon, 11 Jan 1999, William E. Powers wrote:

> Harumph!  All 3 of my Win95 boxes report UTC correctly, but 3 out
> of 4 Linux boxes report Local time as UTC.  The Linux box that
> reports correctly is RedHat 4.0 with a 2.0.34 kernel.  The boxes
> that incorrectly report Local as UTC are all Linux Router Project
> (LRP) 2.9.3 running 2.0.36pre something.  I haven't been able to
> figure out how to get the LRP boxes/clients to tell time correctly.

	I ran into this problem when doing a roll-my-own Linux setup for a
diskless workstation. This is how I solved it (note that paths and filenames
here are based on a Slackwareish system, Red Hat's mileage will vary, and
I've never even laid eyes on a LRP box):

	Copy /usr/lib/zoneinfo/US/Eastern (substitute the correct zoneinfo
file for your timezone, of course) from a regular machine to the diskless
machine's NFS partition. Link /etc/localtime, /usr/lib/zoneinfo/localtime,
and /var/lib/zoneinfo/localtime to /usr/lib/zoneinfo/US/Eastern (or
whatever). And that seems to do it. I have a feeling that not all of those
links are necessary, but that's the way my Slackware boxes do it, and since
it works, I don't feel the need to experiment.

---
John Campbell
jcampbel at lynn.ci-n.com

QotD:  Overheard at a funeral: "I know this may be an awkward time, but do
you recall him ever mentioning source code?"

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net