[RC5] DES-Test, Day 2

wizard01 at bellatlantic.net wizard01 at bellatlantic.net
Thu Jan 14 14:56:38 EST 1999

By your principle then we should just pull our machines offline and
let only EFF and a few high end multi-processer models work on
the problem so we "won't hurt the effort".
I currently have brought 3 more machines on my lan working on
d.net, leaving 2 offline (one isn't worth the effort as it'll take the
length of the contest just to boot), the other is my internal
communications and security server, just can't quite spare those
CPU cycles.
One of the machines is an old, cranky 486DX66, the rest are an
alpha, power mac, pentium 200 (it's also my router/firewall/dns
box) and my pentium 166 workstation that usually does nothing
except control/interface with the rest (and gives the kids something
to play games on). Not a ton of power, but the cumulative effect is
impressive.
I think you forget the PURPOSE of the d.net experiment, to use
spare cycles of ALL machines, even low end machines to increase
power, rather than only high end machines.
Or perhaps it should be your way, only open to SMP arrays? Throw
a few Crays at it and for the hell of it, Big Blue?