[RC5] Kudos to the Coders

Mike Silbersack silby at silby.com
Thu Jan 14 17:21:41 EST 1999

On Thu, 14 Jan 1999 13:27:24 -0500, Michael Hannigan wrote:

>Same here... HUGE increase.
>
>Does this have something to do with EFFs deepcrack software?  If not,
>how are we working with them?  I've seen reference to our working
>with them, but no specifics.

The new MMX cores have nothing to do with the EFF, and everything to do
with the hard work of Bruce Ford (fordbr at distributed.net), who I would
dare say has pioneered the idea of using MMX instructions for DES
bitslicing.  You may have noticed his first generation effort back with
the v2.7100 clients; the new cores of this week are a result of his
conversion of the mmx bitslicer core from a mix of C and asm to a
nearly all ASM core.  I'll let him post some more information later, if
he wishes.

As a reminder to all MMX owners:  Upgrade to a 2.7105.430 client ASAP!
DES rates are MUCH higher!

The way EFF's deep crack will be participating is by linking into our
network as a proxy and talking directly to the keymaster.

Mike "Silby" Silbersack
silby at silby.com
distributed.net Technical Support / Programming

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net