[RC5] Found the key? Immediate flush!

Robert A. Rosenberg Bob.Rosenberg at digitscorp.com
Fri Jan 15 23:14:04 EST 1999

At 08:43 -0500 on 01/15/99, Scott Wasson wrote about Re: [RC5] Found
the key?  Immediate flush!:

> At 12:08 AM 1/15/99 -0500, Robert A. Rosenberg wrote:
>>At 11:39 -0500 on 01/14/99, Scott Wasson wrote about [RC5] Found the
>>key?  Immediate flush!:
>>
>>> I understand the clients are designed to act as if nothing special has
>>> happened if they happen to stumble across the right key.  That's fine.
>>
>>WHY is it fine? There should be an indication to the user that the
>>key has been found.
>
> Then an unscrupulous user could bypass d.net and claim he found the key all
> on his own.  $10,000 all for himself, thank you very much.  Don't think so!

I did not think of that aspect. I'll have to think about it more. I
think that there should be some way of insuring that d.net gets
informed of the crack that will protect them while still giving the
user some indiction of having found it (such as delaying the
indication until the crack has been reported to d.net).

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net