[RC5] Timings (was: Found the key...)

Rick Martin rick at housemartin.force9.co.uk
Sat Jan 16 23:33:54 EST 1999

dbaker at cuckoo.com wrote:

> Once the block has been submitted to a full proxy, pagers will
> be going off within six or seven minutes.

Which brings me neatly to a question I've been trying to guess the
answer to for a few days.

Given that my main machine is on a dial-up connection, but that I have
to pay for dial-up charges (unlike most of the USA, I believe), when
should I dial-in for maximum effect?  I've been thinking in terms of (in
PST):
  9am Monday to get keys
      well, leave it until, say 9:30 to ensure the proxies have
      had blocks allocated
  9am Tuesday to get blocks in before the 24 hour deadline
      well, make it 4 or 4:30 to give d.net time to notice,
      check it and inform RSA
  9am Wednesday, same reason but for the 48 hour deadline
  5pm Wednesday, for the 56 hour deadline.

So the question, at its simplest, is this: how long does it take from my
checking in the answer (assuming I have it) to RSA being told?  And how
much margin for error do you have on telling them that you have it
rather than you having it? (IYSWIM)

A second issue, sort-of related, is about stale blocks.  If I were to
check out, let's say 100 blocks, and check 80 of them, what I'd really
want would be a FIFO system so the next 80 wouldn't get processed until
after the remaining 20.  Alternatively, I could check in the 20 as
"unchecked", leave the keymaster & proxies to determine the real status
(have those blocks been rechecked out, for example), then allocate me a
whole fresh 100 blocks.

Clearly not a good time to suggest such things for DES-III, but would it
work for other d.net projects (e.g. RC5, SETI, OGR, etc)?

    Rick

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net