[RC5] Should DES buffers be of equal size?

Robert A. Rosenberg Bob.Rosenberg at digitscorp.com
Sat Jan 16 16:43:09 EST 1999

At 15:23 -0600 on 01/15/99, Seth H. Bokelman wrote about [RC5] Should
DES buffers be of equal size?:

> My question is this, and someone tell me if I'm wrong, but shouldn't the
> clients mandate that the buffers in and out be the same size for DES
> contests? Due to the LILO nature of the buffers, otherwise once could
> conceivably grab the winning key  in their in buffer if they had it set to,
> say 20 blocks, but if they had their out buffer set to 10 blocks, they'd
> never get around to processing that key, if they kept uploading their
> finished blocks and getting new blocks in return, the other blocks would
> just sit there until they were reissued. I could be wrong on this, but
> that's just the way it seems to me. -Seth

If you can set separate IN/OUT counts there should be no problem. The
OUT flushes when the max count is reached but this does NOT trigger a
refresh of the IN buffer (that only happens if you manually issue a
FETCH/UPDATE or when the IN empties and you do a FLUSH). I run with
my DES set to OUT=1 and IN=LARGER and it flushes my OUT whenever I
finish a block but my IN is not affected. If you can not set them
separately, then just set a reasonable number to fill the IN and then
reset it down to 1 to flush every finished block (you are over the
limit so it will not do a fetch until IN is empty).

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net