[RC5] Timings (was: Found the key...)

Robert A. Rosenberg Bob.Rosenberg at digitscorp.com
Mon Jan 18 00:20:21 EST 1999

At 23:33 +0000 on 01/16/99, Rick Martin wrote about [RC5] Timings
(was: Found the key...):

> dbaker at cuckoo.com wrote:
>>
>> Once the block has been submitted to a full proxy, pagers will
>> be going off within six or seven minutes.
>
> Which brings me neatly to a question I've been trying to guess the
> answer to for a few days.
>
> Given that my main machine is on a dial-up connection, but that I have
> to pay for dial-up charges (unlike most of the USA, I believe), when
> should I dial-in for maximum effect?  I've been thinking in terms of (in
> PST):
>   9am Monday to get keys
>       well, leave it until, say 9:30 to ensure the proxies have
>       had blocks allocated
>   9am Tuesday to get blocks in before the 24 hour deadline
>       well, make it 4 or 4:30 to give d.net time to notice,
>       check it and inform RSA
>   9am Wednesday, same reason but for the 48 hour deadline
>   5pm Wednesday, for the 56 hour deadline.
>
> So the question, at its simplest, is this: how long does it take from my
> checking in the answer (assuming I have it) to RSA being told?  And how
> much margin for error do you have on telling them that you have it
> rather than you having it? (IYSWIM)
>
> A second issue, sort-of related, is about stale blocks.  If I were to
> check out, let's say 100 blocks, and check 80 of them, what I'd really
> want would be a FIFO system so the next 80 wouldn't get processed until
> after the remaining 20.  Alternatively, I could check in the 20 as
> "unchecked", leave the keymaster & proxies to determine the real status
> (have those blocks been rechecked out, for example), then allocate me a
> whole fresh 100 blocks.

If you know that the remaining unchecked blocks can be processed
before you leave the machine untended try the following trick:

 1) Place Checking on HOLD.
 2) Rename the buff-in.rc5 file to buff-ino.rc5
 3) Do the connect and do an UPDATE (to get new blocks and flush your
checked blocks)
 4) Rename the buff-in.rc5 file to buff-inn.rc5
 5) Rename the buff-ino.rc5 file to buff-in.rc5 and resume checking.
 6) While you are checking the last block, delete the empty buff-in.rc5 file.
 7) Rename the buff-inn.rc5 file to buff-in.rc5 (it will be picked up
when needed).