[RC5] remote mass-upgrade/installer for d.net clients

Darxus darxus at Op.Net
Mon Jan 18 00:16:27 EST 1999

The folks working on v3, unfortunately, do not appear to believe in
"Release Early, Release Often."  I decided to start working on pieces.

rconfig v0.1 by darxus at op.net, created Jan 17 23:44 EST
http://www.op.net/~darxus
This program is distributed under the GPL.

rconfig reads a centralized configuration file via http (the url
of which must be given on the command line), and then acts on
it.  It is capable of doing 2 types of actions:

1) Downloading files from specific URLs (does not re-download
   duplicates)
2) Executing specific command lines

For Example (exact configuration file text):

retrieve ftp://ftp.distributed.net/pub/dcti/v2.7105/rc5des432-linux-x86-mt-glibc2.tar.gz
execute killall rc5des
execute tar -zxvf rc5des432-linux-x86-mt-glibc2.tar.gz
retrieve http://www.op.net/~darxus/rc5des.ini
execute ./rc5des > /dev/tty11 &

I believe that the d.net programs will not be truly useful until
they are install-and-forget.  I created this program in the
hopes that it would bring the d.net clients a step closer to
that goal.

This program was created under Linux, and I have only tested it
under Linux, but since perl is a portable thing, this should be
useable under most operating systems (including windows & Mac).

If you're going to use this in another operating system, you'll
probably want to create a couple batch files that do the
equivalent of the UNIX commands.

I suggest running this program daily in a cron job similar to:
0 4    * * *  /home/rc5/rconfig http://www.op.net/~darxus/rconfig.cfg

(Note that I have not yet tested the above cron entry)
(cron jobs are edited with "crontab -e")

BTW, perl is a beautiful thing.
            darxus at op.net / http://www.op.net/~darxus
                        You do not exist.

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net