[RC5] Strange Mathematics ?!

Jim C. Nasby jim at nasby.net
Wed Jan 20 15:03:36 EST 1999

The client is reporting the keyrate correctly. Due to the design of DES and our
clients, it is very easy for us to test complimentary keypairs instead of
individual keys. This means that a 2^28 block of keys actually results in 2^28
_pairs_ of keys being tested. You could say a 2^28 block actually contains 2^29
keys.

Another point of confusion a lot of people had was about the Deep Crack listings
on the proxy info page. Those listings were 'artifacts' of setting the master
up for talking to Deep Crack. There were no actual Deep Crack proxies, and you
could safely ignore those entries on the proxy info page. Of course, all of this
is a moot point now. :)

While I'm rambling on a bit, I just want to thank all of you, our users. Without
your efforts to upgrade to new clients and participate in the two DES tests,
this win simply wouldn't have been possible. Instead, thanks to your help with
the test contests, this is the smoothest DES contest we've run yet!

Thanks, and keep crackin!

Moo!
dB!