[RC5] OGR anyone?

Greg Hewgill greg at hewgill.com
Wed Jan 20 22:03:17 EST 1999

On Tue, Jan 19, 1999 at 05:47:57PM -0500, Tom Cooper wrote:
> I'd like to see the OGR project get moving.
> When should I expect to see us making progress on that front?

The OGR core is coming along well. It is currently capable of processing rulers
up to 31 marks in length, which should keep us busy for a while. Once the core
is working, the next job is to upgrade the proxy network and master keyserver
to be capable of handling the OGR "stubs" (analagous to an RC5 keyblock).

We hope that the time until the OGR distributed.net core is operational will be
measured in weeks rather than months.

If you are interested in helping out with OGR right now, and don't mind some
manual setup work, check out the original OGR effort at the following url:

     http://members.aol.com/golomb20/cg-stubs.htm

Mark and Oliver are optimizing the latest core and are running some test stubs
to gather performance data. The stub reservation system is completely manual
right now, so don't expect this to be "fire and forget". :) Also, the program
is currently only available in source form, so you'll need a C compiler and
some knowledge of how to compile programs on your platform.

I have written up a short summary of OGRs on my web page:

     http://www.hewgill.com/ogr/

I have also included a table which outlines the major differences between
crypto projects (RC5 and DES) and the OGR project. For example, unlike
searching for a key that is known to exist, it is not guaranteed that we will
actually find a smaller Golomb ruler than the current best known. If we don't
find a shorter ruler, we will at least know that the current best known is
indeed optimal.

Greg Hewgill
http://www.hewgill.com

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net