[RC5] OGR anyone, V.3, SETI@home,etc....

Steve Bird sbird at UATC.com
Wed Jan 20 15:58:14 EST 1999

I guess it depends on how V3 works, but here is how I imagine it..

We'll have different cores, each core will represent a new contest or
mathematical venture.  What I'm really hoping for is that we'll be able to
designate a different % of the days calculations to be given to different
contests.  For example, I want to work on RC5-64 during the prime time hours
of the day because I DO want to contribute, yet this isn't what I REALLY
want my computer working on.  Then at 6PM, I want it to switch over
automatically to the OGR contest and I want this to run until 8AM.

If this is how v.3 will work then what I'd REALLY like to see is a totally
compatible core written for SETI at home <mailto:SETI at home>  so that I can
contribute to this project as well without having to go through the leg work
of stopping one project and starting another every day.  So far I've seen a
pretty strong sense of community from the participants, developers, and
organizers of the various distributed projects going on and I hope that it
is this kind of attitude that will carry on in the future...into the time
when SETI at home <mailto:SETI at home>  is operational and v.3 of
distributed.net's software is out.