[RC5] Article in PC Week Online -- facts wrong?!

David McNett nugget at slacker.com
Thu Jan 21 11:59:58 EST 1999

On 21-Jan-1999, Jean-Jack M. Riethoven wrote:
> Just read this article in PCWeek online (see url below). It describes
> how RSA DES challenge got cracked in 22 hours. However, the author
> wrote something that think is wrong. Correct me if not!
>
> http://www.zdnet.com/pcweek/stories/news/0,4153,386735,00.html

Yes, I noticed this article as well yesterday and was most concerned
over the factual innaccuracies therein.  The article, as written, is
very misleading and contains numerous factual errors.

I spoke with the author of the article yesterday afternoon, shortly
after it had appeared on the web and he assured me that they would
either correct or remove the article by today. As you can see, this
has not occurred.

If this bothers you to the point of action, the author of the piece
is:

  Charles Babcock
  Technology Editor
  cbabcock at zd.com
  (415) 547-8358

Another person worth contacting is:

  Tom Steinert-Threlkeld
  Editor-in-Chief
  tomhyphn at onramp.net
  (972) 293-7887

Perhaps a handful of POLITE and WELL-REASONED corrections would
be effective in encouraging them to correct the errors in the article.

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net