[RC5] OGR anyone?

Paul Benjamin pben_ng at pobox.com
Thu Jan 21 05:59:48 EST 1999

On 5 November I got my last update from SETI at home (see below).  I
think they did a few seconds on it during a Star Trek: Insurrection
behind the scenes PR show on the Discovery channel here in the States
when the move was released.

It is a screen saver and therefore not running all the time like the
RC5 client.  It is only going to work on Windows.  It looked like it
had some eye candy to keep the user interested and therefore keep the
client on his PC.  That is just about all they said.  You will just
have to wait until April to see if they did a good job.

PBen

On Wed, 20 Jan 1999 15:24:34 -0500, "Arranger, Lee"
<laarhelger at software.rockwell.com> wrote:

>I agree with Tom. I turned in my .000000000000001% of the total keys. I hope the government sees the problem.
>
>However my interest lies in the SETI project. How about putting some of this good knowledge and effort into getting them going. As far as I know they have been struggling for a long time trying to get the software working.
>
>Lee

Dear SETI at home volunteer:

Thank you for signing up for SETI at home.  We're on schedule to
distribute the SETI at home screensaver program in April 1999, and
we'll send you another email when that happens.

On October 30 we began recording data at the world's largest
radio telescope, located in Arecibo, Puerto Rico.  Preliminary
versions of the screensaver program and the data distribution
system have been completed.  On November 20 we will begin
testing the system with a group of 100 users analyzing real data
(sorry - no more volunteers needed).  Over the next few months
we will complete the testing, making sure the system will handle
large numbers of users.

We are pleased to thank SETI at home's sponsors and technology
partners: the Planetary Society (a 100,000 member organization
founded by Carl Sagan), Paramount Studios (in conjunction with
their new movie, Star Trek IX:  Insurrection), Sun Microsystems,
EDT, Fuji Film Computer Products, Informix, and individual donors
like you. The screen saver will be free for everyone, but if
you can consider making a tax-deductible donation to SETI at home,
please visit http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/donor.html.
We also invite you to become a member of The Planetary Society.
You can visit their site at http://www.planetary.org.

For further SETI at home information and news, please see
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu.

Thank you again for offering to participate in SETI at home.  Our
work is enhanced and inspired by the enthusiasm of thoughtful,
adventurous, and generous people like you.

If you wish to remove your name from the SETI at home email list,
please send an empty email message to this address with subject
header "remove".

Best wishes,

The SETI at home project

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net