[RC5] OGR anyone?

Jim C. Nasby jim at nasby.net
Thu Jan 21 14:19:21 EST 1999

This is starting to sound like the 'distributed stats' argument again, so I'll
nip it in the bud.

Databases, by definition, mean dealing with huge amounts of data. They also
often contain very small computational requirements (although this is not always
the case). This means that the bottleneck for database operations usually isn't
CPU horsepower, but disk bandwidth. This means that distributed.net would be
ill suited to help.

3D modeling and raytracing are computationally intense activities. So, while
there is a huge amount of data involved in a movie like 'A Bugs Life', there
is also a huge amount of computer horsepower needed for rendering. So, it is
technically possible that distributed.net would be a useful tool for mass 3D
rendering projects.

Whether we could work with the likes of Pixar or DreamWorks is an entirely
different issue, one of our tax status. distributed.net is a non-profit
corporation, and I'm not sure that we could sell our services. Plus, I
imagine that if we could sell our services, many users would find it
objectionable. I think that many users would also object if we provided free
service to a commercial project, such as a feature film.

There's also the minor problem that our current network protocol would be
woefully inadequate for such a task. }:8)

Moo!
dB!