[RC5] OGR anyone?

Steve Bird sbird at UATC.com
Thu Jan 21 13:24:40 EST 1999

If a distributed rendering project were to ever happen, I think that within
a week or two of it starting up, a couple of still screenshots from the
movie, hacked from the client would pop up on ain't-it-cool-news or
something and the project would be halted.  Besides, nowadays, I don't think
rendering time is the REAL concern.   Places like ILM and Disney have
dedicated hardware that could closely rival the speed of d.net.  Besides,
having to put up all the data on servers would require additional time to
transmit the data and even more time to get it to clients.

The SETI project is the one...this is the project that could get some
attention to distributed computing projects.  I don't necessarily think it
will bring people to d.net, but I do think it will cause more interest in
the concept of distributed computing and I think that it will increase the
number of projects being worked on.  Perhaps there's a scientist out there
that needs something done and that scientist hadn't realized how many people
on the Internet don't mind contributing spare cycles...viola...new
project/core/whatever.

The other one I think that could gain publicity is the search for
Pi..ie..PiHex that Colin Percivel(sp?) wrote.  Just about everyone knows
what Pi is and they also know that it (so far) is an endless number.

All the other projects out there are only going to have appeal to people who
are into cryptography or number theory or...well I think you get my point.
But, Pi and aliens?? Everybody knows what those are..

Before people blow up over anything I'm saying here...don't get me wrong.
I'm not saying ALL people think this way, but I'm just saying that I think
that what I'm saying is true of most people (in the US anyway).

Other projects that could get some real attention:

A distributed version of the Human Genome project.  (If this is even
possible)

The Chess Project.  (This was actually a real project a while back and then
it just vanished.  I think the idea was to make a database of chess games so
robust that no human or computer could defeat it.)