[RC5] Win95/98 users take note:

Somebody Else elsesomebody at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 29 12:23:35 EST 1999

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems to me that
increasing the priority of the client relative to other applications
won't increase the number of total keys processed.  This is how I see
it:  Say you want to use your computer while rc5 is cracking in the
background.  Lets consider the example of launching netscape.  There is
a certain number of cycles/processes that need to take place to launch
netscape.  This will reduce the number of available cycles/processes
available for rc5 to use.  However if decrease the priority of netscape
it will take more time to launch but  the same number of
cycles/processes need to take place, it will just take longer to do
them.  So in a 24 hour period lets say you have a certain number of
cycles (24 hours * 3600 seconds per hour * your processor speed *
1000000 cycles per second).  Netscape still needs the same number of
cycles leaving the remaining cycles for rc5 and therefore yielding
exactly the same number of blocks.  Like I said if I need correcting
please do so.  And if I'm right I'd like to know for sure as well.