[RC5] prize monies

Bryan Talbot btalbot at ucsd.edu
Fri Jan 29 10:54:13 EST 1999

	At 03:33 PM 1/28/99 -0800, Michael L. Dawson wrote:
>Now that DES III is over, I have some concerns about the prize monies.
>For starters, my concern is about the deep crack machine that EFF
>developed. It apparently can process atleast 35 times faster than my
>little desktop which causes me to think that there will be no way in the

Damn dude.  Your desktop machine is _REALLY_ sinkin fast!!!
DeepCrack does about 80 Billion kps if I remember correctly.  How fast is
your machine again?  By your reasoning, their machine is only equivilant to
35 computers, so why do you say there's "no way" for the other 100,000
computers participating to win?

Personally, I never thought my team would ever win the prize money.  It's
like playing the lottery, it'd be nice to win, but I don't really expect it
to happen.  I have no problem with EFF getting charity money and prize
money; afterall they are a worthy receiver or they wouldn't have been
selected for the charity list.  I choose them as my prefered charity and
I'm glad they got the money.

What do you think would have happened if a misconfigured or unconfigured
client reporting blocks as rc5 at distributed.net won?  Or if nugget or bovine
won?  Think d.net gets the prize and charity money?  You bet.