[RC5] prize monies

Jon Bright sircus at sircus.demon.co.uk
Fri Jan 29 18:21:20 EST 1999

On Thu, 28 Jan 1999, Michael L. Dawson wrote:

> It seems a bit unfair to me that EFF and it's various officers/members
> will garner 80% of the prize money. My feeling is that any person or
> organization under the auspices of d.net should not be allowed to
> receive the charity portion of the prize if they win the contest. It
> just smells real fishy to me.

If EFF had chosen not to co-operate with d.net for DES-III, the likelihood
is that they would have garnered 100% of the prize money.  They are a team
like any other, and the money has been distributed in the same
previously-agreed way.  DES-III would have had the odds stacked (even
further) against it if EFF had not participated - they do have costs (such
as the $250,000 on Deep Crack in the first place), but they are a
not-for-profit organisation.  I think, in this instance, your concerns are
misplaced.

--
Jon Bright
Lead Programmer, Silicon Circus Ltd.