[RC5] Random blocks: useless?

nfo at deskmail.com nfo at deskmail.com
Fri Jan 29 13:43:03 EST 1999

Prolly the easiest fix for your "sneakernet" problem would be to set
your buffers fairly high. Recent messages posted to this group say
that blocks get recycled only about every 90 days. I bet if you put
30 days worth of blocks in it, you would find the time to replenish
them in a month. I would say that chances are, someone has
already done and returned the random blocks that you are currently
doing. You might also consider running the -runbuffers option so
that it would shutdown when it runs out of blocks. I have 3
computers here that i feed by "sneakernet". I keep about a weeks
worth of blocks in them. They are also set to shutdown when they
run out of blocks. Hence, no chance of repeating random blocks
and not too much effort required to maintain them.

Just a thought.

Scott/NFO