[RC5] Win95/98 users take note:

nfo at deskmail.com nfo at deskmail.com
Fri Jan 29 12:35:45 EST 1999

From:           	"David Cantrell" <david at wirestation.co.uk>
To:             	rc5 at lists.distributed.net
Date sent:      	Fri, 29 Jan 1999 11:12:43 +0000
Subject:        	Re: [RC5] Win95/98 users take note:
Send reply to:  	rc5 at lists.distributed.net

> nfo at deskmail.com said:
>
> > Do you miss the priority function that was available last in ~ version
> > 417? A program called "wstart" available from
> > http://www.winfiles.com can give it back.

hmmm. complete quote went something like this:

Do you miss the priority function that was available last in ~ version
417? A program called "wstart" available from
http://www.winfiles.com can give it back. It's a program launcher
app that lets you use command line switches to set the priority of
Win95/98 programs just like you can with the task manager in NT.

functionality of program being similar to NT "task mangler"
mentioned.

> NT users can use the Task Mangler to achieve this.  It's safe to ignore
> the warning about 'changing priorities can do really bad things'.
> There are also command line tools which let you twiddle the timeslices
> of running programs.  I use 'ps' to get the PID and 'nice' to set its
> priority to high.  I _believe_ these will also work on Win95/98, but
> haven't tested them.  Anyone want the binaries?

ps, top, and nice/renice do not work in my copy of win 98. I have yet to test
those linux/fbsd commands in win 95 but I doubt they are there either.

I think this mostly applied to win95/98 users, hence the subject. ;)