[RC5] client updates

Dmitri Besedin nickms at com2com.ru
Sun Jan 31 07:20:01 EST 1999

Steve,

I'm also wondering about all these new clients since Win32 x86 v417 (I'm
running NT 5.0 beta2). I got the RC5 keyrate decrease from 1,310,000
keys/sec to 1,290,000 keys/sec on my Celeron 466A, so I also had to switch
back to 417 after DES3.

I really wanna know what are the new clients v434 (which are available for
Linux and Alpha NT at this time), and do they provide any increase in RC5
keyrate.

Another problem I got with the new clients is the priority settings. At
first releases after v.417 (something like v.427), the priority setting just
didn't work. Now it's *gone* *completely*. I heard a lot of stories here
using NT Task Manager or some other utilities, but all this doesn't work, at
least for me. When I try to set the process priority of "rc5desg.exe" to
something higher than "low", e.g. "normal" or even "high", it just sets the
priority, and doesn't really give any more CPU cycles to the client.
Perhaps, all other NT users could find it to be the same. I usually set the
priority of the v.417 client to "normal" to get more cycles over system
processes, Explorer etc. The question is: will the true priority setting
ever return to the new clients? It's really needed!

Regards,
Dmitri