[RC5] Win95/98 users take note:

Stephen Degabriele stephend at aebc.com
Sat Jan 30 11:59:42 EST 1999

] -----Original Message-----
] From: owner-rc5 at lists.distributed.net
] [mailto:owner-rc5 at lists.distributed.net]On Behalf Of nfo at deskmail.com
] Sent: Friday, January 29, 1999 1:21 PM
] To: rc5 at lists.distributed.net
] Subject: Re: [RC5] Win95/98 users take note:
]
] From:           	"Somebody Else" <elsesomebody at hotmail.com>
] To:             	rc5 at lists.distributed.net
] Subject:        	Re: [RC5] Win95/98 users take note:
] Date sent:      	Fri, 29 Jan 1999 12:23:35 EST
] Send reply to:  	rc5 at lists.distributed.net
]
] > Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems to me that
] > increasing the priority of the client relative to other
] applications
] > won't increase the number of total keys processed.  This is
] how I see
] > it:  Say you want to use your computer while rc5 is cracking in the
] > background.  Lets consider the example of launching
] netscape.  There is
] > a certain number of cycles/processes that need to take
] place to launch
] > netscape.  This will reduce the number of available
] cycles/processes
] > available for rc5 to use.
]
] see explanation below to see how wstart helps correct the
] reduction in cycles
] to rc5des client. You are correct, however, that the max
] number of cpu cycles
] available for all programs is constant and no program can
] make any other program
] run faster than it would with 100% of the cpu cycles going to it.

Yup :)

]  However if decrease the priority of netscape
] > it will take more time to launch but  the same number of
] > cycles/processes need to take place, it will just take longer to do
] > them.
]
] this is an excellent explanation of why if you give one
] program more priority
] with wstart, the others will lag.
]
]   So in a 24 hour period lets say you have a certain number of
] > cycles (24 hours * 3600 seconds per hour * your processor speed *
] > 1000000 cycles per second).  Netscape still needs the same
] number of
] > cycles leaving the remaining cycles for rc5 and therefore yielding
] > exactly the same number of blocks.  Like I said if I need
] correcting
] > please do so.  And if I'm right I'd like to know for sure as well.
] >

Exactly.. why make your computer more painful to use when it own't even help
anyhow?  besides, i thought the point was to use your IDLE Time, not create
idle for rc5... Imean, you could just not use your computer. :)

] you are correct about the number of cycles my cpu produces
] being constant.
] what wstart does is to devote more of those cycles to a
] specific program.
] In a perfect OS, (there are none and windows is prolly the farthest
] away...) all the cpu cycles would be divided equally among the

Hey, OS/2 is perfect.
Just has no apps :)

] running threads. Even under this perfect system, as you opened

Umm, no way... why would you want the same number of cycles being use to
say.. run your spell check in the background, as you would have taking care
of network stuff.... if you spell check gets behind, big deal, if your
network gets behind, you could have corruption (this isn't a perfect
example, but i'm tryin gto keep it simple).  A perfect os will allow you to
pick and choose which threads get higher priorities etc...

] more programs, the number of cycles devoted to each thread would
] be less and less. This would cause each consecutive program to
] run slower as well as all the ones already open. This program
] merely tells windows to pay more attention (ie give more cycles) to
] a specific program. The program getting the most cycles will run
] the fastest. Windows is a self serving OS, it will give itself cycles
] before any other program. This program allows you to tell windows
] to give a specific program the same amount of attention as it gives
] itself. On my computer, this caused my dnet client to maintain a
] more consistant output than it did when windows was allowed to
] take cycles from it whenever deemed necessary. It is true that it
] cannot make the program run faster than it does with the system
] idle. I mentioned in my stats that my system runs at ~92kk/s
] when idle. Lets consider that max output. I know that no program
] can help me exceed that figure. In the daytime, (many other
] programs running and sharing cycles) my output would fall to
] ~~70kk/s. This output drop was caused by windows giving some of
] the constant number of cycles to other programs. Wstart basically
] does this: It tells windows that its ok to share cycles with other
] programs, but, you need to give more of them to this program.
] Using Wstart, I was able to stabilize and increase my output
] slightly to ~82kk/s when other programs were running. Note: it
] does not exceed the max output value, it merely increased my
] output in a highly tasked environment by giving it more cycles to
] process with than windows normally would. Also, as I mentioned in
] my original letter, giving more cycles to one program does cause
] the others to lag. This is why, before using this program, you must
] decide which is more important: more blocks per day or a system
] that tasks smoother. I leave the choice to the individual. I am
] merely suggesting a way to increase the output for those who run
] the client on windows 95/98 systems that are also used for other
] tasks. I did also include the disclaimer that these were my results
] and that your may vary.
]
You are not increaseing your daily output, only making your computer more
painful to use.
and for just a perceived 12kkeys/s?  If you do the same amount of work in a
day anyhow, it own't make a difference, if you use your computer less
because it's more of a pain to use, then yah.. I guess it is improving your
key rate, but at what cost?

Now, if you had two "ILDE" programs running, and you wanted one to get
priority over the other, then yes, setting different priorities would help a
fair bit.

Thnx,
SD

] Scott/NFO
] >
] > >
] > >Do you miss the priority function that was available last
] in ~ version
] > >417? A program called "wstart" available from
] > >http://www.winfiles.com can give it back. It's a program launcher
] > >app that lets you use command line switches to set the priority of
] > >Win95/98 programs just like you can with the task manager in NT.
] > >On busy systems like mine, it can give you a substantial increase
] > >in keyrate while you're doing other things.
] > >The speed increase is not without tradeoffs. The latency will be
] > >slightly increased  on your other apps. If keyrate is more
] important
] > >to you than minor system slowdowns then you might want to
] > >consider this program.
] > >
] > >Personal results on my 486/dx4-100:
] > >
] > >night rate (system idle) ~92 kkeys/s
] > >day rate (without wstart) ~70 kkeys/s
] > >day rate (with wstart set to "high") ~82 kkeys/s
] > >
] > >Thats roughly a 15% increase in keyrate while system is loaded.
] > >Your results may vary.
] > >
] > >Something to think about :)
] > >
] > >
] > >Scott/NFO
] >
] >
] >
] > ______________________________________________________
] >
] > --
] > To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to
] majordomo at lists.distributed.net
] > rc5-digest subscribers replace rc5 with rc5-digest
] >
]
]
] Scott/NFO
]
] Put your idle CPU cycles to good use:
] http://www.distributed.net
]
] --
] To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to
] majordomo at lists.distributed.net

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net