[RC5] Beal's Problem A DN challenge?

David Cantrell david at wirestation.co.uk
Sat Jul 3 01:03:11 EDT 1999

Mike Burgess said:

> I don't know if this would be suitable for Distributed.Net, but it looks
> interesting: http://www.maa.org/devlin/devlin_12_97.html Beal's Problem xm
> + yn = zr   (The 2nd letter should be in SuperScript, as an exponent.)
>  "This year, Beal's prize stands at $5,000. Thereafter, it will increase
>  by
> $5,000
>  each year for every year the problem remains unsolved, up to a limit of
> $50,000,
>  the same amount as the Wolfskehl Prize when it was finally awarded."

It does indeed look interesting.  However, d.net can't prove Beal's
conjecture true, we can only prove it false by trying lots of different
numbers.  This sort of open-ended problem is, I think, far less likely
to attract new recruits than something thoroughly useful like OGR.

--
David Cantrell - http://www.ThePentagon.com/NukeEmUp

"I don't practice what I preach because I'm not the
 kind of person I'm preaching to."
    -- J.R. "Bob" Dobbs

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net