[RC5] Beal's Problem A DN challenge?

Bachrach bachrach at bigfoot.com
Tue Jul 6 02:18:14 EDT 1999

-----Original Message-----
From: David Cantrell <david at wirestation.co.uk>
To: rc5 at lists.distributed.net <rc5 at lists.distributed.net>
Date: Monday, July 05, 1999 2:32 PM
Subject: Re: [RC5] Beal's Problem A DN challenge?

>It's main drawback is that it is an open-ended problem, like SETI but
>unlike OGR.  That is, with OGR we KNOW we'll find answers, whereas with
>Beal's conjecture and SETI we do NOT know whether we'll achieve
>anything, which will make it more difficult to recruit.

It's not so much the open ended-ness of it, but the fact that it can't
really be done by a computer at all. To formulate a proof the person doing
the proof must use their own mind and ingenuity to try and find a way from
point A to point B that hasn't been discovered before. There is no set
instructions that you could instruct a computer to follow that would result
in an answer. The computer can't think, and proving a theorem requires just
that.

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net